While at a restaurant, with family, have you observed kids playing with smartphones (or parents handing them their phones)? Some parents or slightly older kids bring their iPads / Tablets to ensure they are busy and not crib while everyone can peacefully talk / eat 🙂
We have received interesting inputs from few parents, these inputs have helped their kids to develop a habit of reading eBooks. They have have downloaded ReadMyStori app and set of books from Pratham Books. With parents handing over their phones (while at a restaurant or driving a car or in situations when they are busy and need their kids to be quite for sometime), these kids are engrossed in reading very well illustrated eBooks.
These inputs got us thinking. Are there any easy and yet good ways of inculcating habits of book reading? Sharing a few points (original article from Leo Babauta).
- Set times. You should have a few set times during every day when you’ll read for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Always carry a book. Wherever you go, take a book with you.
- Make a list. Keep a list of all the great books you want to read.
- Read to your kid. If you have children, you must, must read to them. Its never too late 🙂
- Read fun and compelling books. Find books that really grip you and keep you going.
A big Thank You to readers who shared inputs with us. Other readers, feel free to share your inputs.